Soundtracks by Jon Acuff is described as either teaching the solution to overthinking or stopping the negative soundtracks that prevent you from achieving what you want. Soundtracks is the first of Jon’s 7th books I’ve read.
Overthinking is when what you think gets in the way of what you wantSoundtracks by Jon Acuff
Why did I want to read Soundtracks
I head Jon Acuff as a guest on a few podcasts when the book was first released. I liked the idea of changing my soundtracks for two reasons:
- I thought I could make my daily affirmations more impactful
- I knew I had some upper limits problems (such as going to bed before midnight) and thought I could benefit from identifying and changing my current soundtracks.
Every new thing you want is on the other side of new actions.Soundtracks by Jon Acuff
My key takeaways
My key takeaway from the book is that our thoughts influence our actions. However, we are able to change our thoughts. A second takeaway was how to think about problems; do you react or respond? I particularly liked this question as it encouraged me to change my thinking from focusing on the problem to the solution.
Here are some of my other takeaways
- If you listen to a thought long enough it becomes part of your personal playlist.
- Every time you listen to a soundtrack it gets easier to believe it next time.
- Once you’ve picked the right soundtrack, it gets easier to pick the right action.
- Your thoughts empower your actions, which in turn generate your results.
- Every new thing you want is on the other side of new action.
- Gather evidence of what you want to be true in your life.
Once you’ve picked the right soundtrack, it gets easier to pick the right actions.Soundtracks by Jon Acuff
How or what I’ve changed after reading Soundtracks
I identified soundtracks around my sleeping habits. Something I’ve been working on changing for many years. I started looking at going to bed earlier, but also included getting out of bed with enthusiasm in the mornings.
I’ve added an affirmation app to my phone and added my sleep affirmations. I read these in the morning, as well as through the day when I get a notification on my watch through the day. I’ve also done the affirmations in the book in the morning, but haven’t yet remembered to do them before going to bed.
The book talks about symbols being a great way of helping you embed a soundtrack. I’m still working on this as I’m not finding it easy to find a symbol that reminds me to go to bed. I’m currently trying listening to a fiction audio book as I get ready for bed, and using a scented vaporiser in the bedroom (lavender and jasmine).
Soundtracks journal writing
As an avid journal writer, this book inspired me to think about how I could use the concepts in my writing. Would they help me go deeper, would it help me identify my soundtracks, would it help me change my soundtracks? I don’t have the answer to all of those questions yet. So far, I’ve found the activity has helped me think beyond my initial thought and to envision the change I’d like. I’ve developed two sets of prompts which I used depending on the issue I’m aiming to solve.
Your thoughts empower your actions, which in turn generate your results.Soundtracks by Jon Acuff
Should you read Soundtracks by Jon Acuff
Yes, I think this book will be enlightening for many people, particularly if you
- want to change something in your life
- are stuck because you want to make change, but don’t
- want to start affirmations
- already do affirmations because it will help you build more impactful ones for you.
- you do affirmations, it will help you build more impactful ones for you.
- don’t like what the voice in your head says (over thinking).
I expect this to be a book that I often revisit as I work on changing my soundtracks.
Soundtracks by Jon Acuff
The Surprising Solution to Overthinking
Overthinking is fear that keeps us stuck and prevents us achieving our goals. In this book Jon Acuff shows how to create and use better soundtracks, controlling our thoughts in this way help us achieve what we want. The book will be enlightening for many people.
*Disclosure – this post includes affiliate links which means if you buy something after using it I will earn some money from the seller for suggesting you visit them. However, it will not cost you anything extra.