Do you find yourself yearning for a clear sense of direction for your goals and aspirations? In the midst of a hectic life, it’s often common to feel stuck in a repetitive routine, wanting something better but unsure of how to break free and achieve your goals and dreams. This post explores the vision board—a transformative tool that bridges the gap between yearning and achievement.
What is a vision board?
A vision board is a visualization tool that supports the change you want to make. It is a collage that blends together images, quotes, and symbols to represent the life you want; an intentional combination of your aspirations and goals. The board brings your dreams to life and serves as a source of inspiration to reach your goals. It is more than just a collage; it is a reminder of your ambitions as it connects your daily actions to your ultimate dreams.
Why Have a Vision Board?
Vision boards remind us of what we’re striving for, acting as a bridge between our imagination and reality. By tapping into the remarkable power of visualisation, vision boards enable us to create a blueprint for success in our minds. This process engages our brain’s reticular activating system, filtering external information based on our internal focus, as a result, our perception shifts towards opportunities aligned with our visions.
- Clarity and Direction: Feeling stuck often stems from a lack of clarity about what you truly want. A vision board articulates your dreams, helping you identify and define your aspirations, giving you a clear sense of direction and purpose.
- Inspiration: During tough times, a vision board becomes a source of motivation, reinforcing your determination and belief in your capacity to succeed.
- Personal Growth and Self-Discovery: Crafting a vision board encourages self-awareness, as you explore deep desires and your guiding values.
- Enhanced Self-Belief and Confidence: Your vision board becomes a visual testament to your potential. Regularly visualising your goals develops a positive mindset and builds self-confidence.
- Manifestation: The Law of Attraction holds that positive thoughts attract positive outcomes. A vision board aligns with this principle, by keeping your goals at the forefront of your mind and emitting the energy to draw them closer.
Different ways to Make a Vision Board
You can create a vision board either digitally or physically, whichever appeals or is more practical for you.
Digital vision boards
In the digital age, online tools offer a convenient way to create visually stunning vision boards. The great thing about digital boards is they are portable, easy to editing, and accessible. Choose a platform that resonates with you. Canva offers a user-friendly interface, while Pinterest allows you to create private boards filled with inspiring images. You may find some platforms such as phone apps offer vision board templates.
Traditional physical vision boards
The tactile experience of making a physical vision board can be incredibly rewarding. Your vision board supplies include magazines, pictures, quotes and items that reflect your unique style such as stickers or sequins. You can buy vision board kits that may help you find the images you want; either physical books to cut up or digital files to print. You also need scissors, glue and a surface to create your board, this could be a bulletin board, poster board or a large sheet of paper.
Creating Your Vision Board
- Set Aside Time and Space: Give yourself a dedicated time and a clutter-free area for creating your inspiration board, you don’t want to rush the process.
- Goal setting: Pause to think about your dream life. Is it a thriving career, meaningful relationships, or vibrant health? Use a pen and paper to brainstorm your life goals vividly; dream big, no dream is too ambitious, so don’t limit your thoughts. Remember, clarity is crucial, the more specific your desires, the more they resonate with your conscious and subconscious mind. You may want to use a mind map to visually organize your goals and uncover potential links between them.
- Decide on the Content of your board: Decide if your dream board will be general or centered around a specific area of your life (like health, career). This will help you decide on the content to include.
- Gather Necessary Materials: Whether digital or physical, ensure you’re equipped with all essentials—images, quotes, scissors, glue, or access to digital tools.
- Select imagery: Choose images that represent your goals. This stage is important as you want to bring your dreams to life, so each image should resonate and inspire you on a deep level.
- Design Your Vision Board: Take a moment to look at all your images before you start adding them to your goal board. Play with different arrangements, paying attention to visual balance and flow, until you find a layout that resonates deeply with you.
- Add words and positive affirmation: Words have immense power; they can motivate, inspire, and reinforce positive beliefs. Choose empowering words, inspiring quotes and phrases that align with your goals and resonate deeply with you. Remember to use the present tense to reinforce the idea that these aspirations are not distant dreams but rather imminent realities. These words will serve as powerful reminders of what you aim to achieve and help shift your mindset towards success.
Remember there is no right or wrong way to arrange your vision board; what matters most is that it reflects your unique desires and aspirations. By curating a collection of images and words that deeply resonate with you on an emotional level, your vision board becomes a visual representation of your dreams and goals for the future.
Integrating Vision Board Practices into Your Daily Routine
Using the finished vision board in your daily routine is just as important as the process of making it. This will remind you of your dreams, giving you the motivation to act on reaching them. Consider these steps to make your vision board a vibrant part of your routine:
1. Place It in Your Line of Sight: Position your vision board where you’ll encounter it daily—your workspace, bedroom, or even as your phone’s wallpaper. Each glance at it will kindle your motivation.
2. Morning Visualisation: Start each day by immersing yourself in your board. Spend a few moments visualizing and connecting with its images and affirmations to inspire your day.
3. Throughout the day: During the day, take a moment to look at your vision board. You can do a quick glance as you walk around the house, or spend more time if you need inspiration and motivation. This will build optimism and help align your thoughts and actions with your goals.
4. Embrace Journaling: Spend time each day to think about how you can work towards your goals. Write about actions or ideas that come to mind as you visualise success.
By integrating vision board practices into your daily rhythm, you create an environment that fosters success and attracts positive outcomes. The regular reinforcement of your goals through visualisation and reflection helps establish a mindset geared towards achievement.
As your goals evolve, make sure to create another vision board so it stays aligned with your aspirations, and you stay focused on your goals.
My vision board work
My first attempt at a vision board was creating a wallpaper for my computer. This was before we had tools like Canva, so it was not straightforward. However, I was pleased with what I created and I saw it regularly. But, I didn’t intentionally look at it, so it stopped being a reminder of my goals.
Recently I’ve created my vision board online using a phone app. I’d look at this after meditating as part of my miracle morning routine. I found this type of board with individual images and text is simple to create. It is possibly too simple as I didn’t spend the time to create a clear vision of what I wanted. So I when I looked at the images and words they reminded me of my goals, but didn’t really resonate with me. I didn’t feel inspiration flowing through me.
I’ve also created two physical boards at a conference which hosted a vision board party. They provided all the vision board material, although we were limited on time to create our vision. I really like what I created and I’m pleased that the two boards I created on consequent years, have a number of similarities suggesting when confronted with lots of pictures I was able to which related to my goals. Unfortunately I have not integrated these into my daily routine, so as a step towards this I’m going to share my vision boards with you.
A vision board is not just a collection of images; it’s a guide to the life you yearn for, a road map fueled by your aspirations. By infusing your aspirations with carefully chosen images and words, you tap into the essence of manifestation and intention-setting. Your vision board is a testament to your potential, and a tool that can lead you towards your greatest achievements.